Saturday, September 22, 2012

7 quick takes

My youth minister (and blogger of Letlovebesincere) writes "7 quick takes" in her blog. Since they're a quick, yet affective way to get your thoughts out in paper, I've decided to do the same.

Here are 7 quick takes on why I love Franciscan University.

1. Classes
Although "classes" is a a very large topic, there are def. highs and lows of all of the classes that I'm taking this semester. My favorite class, has obviously been Intro to Cat. Yesterday in the middle of lecture, a girl asked "Wait, does any know the feast day of St. Therese?!" and the rest of us future catechist all had fear and bewilderment in our eyes because we didn't know. When I looked at our professor, he had the same look and stated, "Only at Franciscan would this question be asked in a room filled with future Catechists".

I also truly love that all of my classes, with the exception of biology, begin class with a prayer. Spanish has been kicking my booty a little bit (note to the wise--take a language in high school even if it's not required. Having to take 4 language classes is a pain, ESPECIALLY when the prof. teaches the class as a "refresher" class for those who have already taken a language). What makes the class so wonderful though is that we begin each class in prayer in Spanish. Whenever we're praying the Our Father in Spanish, I reflect on how I'll be able to minister to people who speak this language and how I'll be able to bring people closer to God through Spanish.

2. The Grotto
At Madonna, I used to go to the Marian Grotto that was behind the Mother House whenever I was in distress or just wanted some alone time with our Lord and Mama Mary. Last year, my trips became quite frequent and I would even go out there,, all alone in the middle of the night (sorry mom). Ever since then, I've gained a lot of respect for Grottos. The grotto here at franciscan is beautiful, yet simple. It's here that I pray before a long day of classes and work and where I asked for the Blessed Mother's intercession for everything occuring in my life (it's also here that I pray for all of my family and friends!). In the morning, chipmunks scurry and play around and on the Grotto. It's so cute and helps remind me that all living things are true blessings and that nothing should be "over looked" in prayer.


3. The Porticula Chapel
The Porticula Chapel is a replica of the chapel that St. Francis built for God. It is such a calm and pieceful place to pray and spend some alone time with God. Just a quick side note--I love that there are so many wonderful places to pray at franciscan. I never find myself in a situation where I don't feel comfortable praying. The whole feeling of life at Franciscan truly is "take time out for God", which is truly awesome.

4. Three Daily Mass
Three daily masses, WHICH I have to add are always full of students. Even 6:30am mass. How awesome is that?! I'm truly thankful and bless to be able to go to mass everyday.  I do, however, have to go to 6:30am masses on Tuesdays and Fridays because my class and work schedule conflicts with the other two times, but I'm happy to go to mass. I want to go to mass.  There hasn't been one homily that I haven't liked or gotten anything from. I'm still thinking about a homily that was given two weeks ago because it's still resonating in my head. That is truly rare for me.

5. Ministry Oppurtunities
As you should know, I love ministry, especially youth ministry.  God has definanetly given me a passion to minister and I wouldn't pursue a different career unless I felt that God was calling me to something else. I will be writing a blog soon about why I'm pursuing Catechetics in my depth, but in short, I feel that one of the greatest gift that God has given us is the ability to minister and evangualize to others. It is all of our calling to bring people closer to Christ, for the glory of God. I have been blessed with such oppurtunities so far in my life. I am very thankful for the oppurtunities that I have had to grow as a Catechist, but more so to minister to youth. One blessing that has been given to me so far this year is being placed on a ministry team where me and 8 other students will be planning and running a "Born of the Spirit Retreat" for 90 teens at a local high school. Please keep my team and the students that we will be ministering to in your prayers. I've also applied and am beign prayerfully discerned to go on a mission trip to Belize. If accepted, me and 19 other students will be headed to rural villages in Belize where we will minister and lead Theology of the Body talks to teens. How awesome would that be?! We will see what God has planned, but also please keep those involved and the students in Belize in your prayers. There are a ton of other oppurtunies for ministry at Franciscan, but I'm trying to make sure that I don't "over do it".  Next semester, when I get more settled, hope to get involved with the local Boys and Girls club.

6. The Enviornment
Franciscan is such a unique place. Some people refer to it as a "Catholic Disney World", others a "Catholic Hogwarts" while others call it the "Catholic version of Harvard". I prefer Catholic Hogwarts :). What is so amazing about Franciscan is being in an enviornment where we can not only live out our faith together, we all strengthen our faith through prayer. We do so when we all attend mass together or join rosary groups. I went to the Port two nights ago around 10:00pm for perpetual adoration and I had to kneel in the corner of the Port because it was crowded with people. At 10:00pm! It's such an amazing feeling that you're not alone. I don't want to compare and contrasts the previous college that I attended to Franciscan, but I will say one comparision for the sake of this blog. Last year, I was sitting in my room singing a Christian rock song (the song slips my mind at the moment). Appearently, i was singing a little too loud that the people in the hall could hear me and they started mocking me and singing the song to be funny. Here, if someone starts singing a Christian song, EVERYONE joins in :).

If you want to really know the enviornment, you should check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6-55Tgurvw&feature=related. Don't be turned off by the name! Guys say all of this stuff at Franciscan too!


I truly feel like Franciscan is preparing me and strengthening my faith to live in this secular world and bring people closer to Christ--that's the whole goal of this university.

7. Academically Challenging Passionately Catholic
That's the mission statement for Franciscan and it's very true. My classes here are more challenging than they were before. None of my classes can be considered "blow off classes" and they all require a lot of work. I'm very thankful for this though. Since I'm paying for my own education, I want my money's worth! All that I'm learning too, I'm offering up to God that He may use my knowledge to better serve Him. The school is also very very pasisonately Catholic, as I have expressed already in this blog. It's so great to be at a school that doesn't just say it has a Catholic identity, but actually lives it!

This concludes this post! I hope to blog more soon and post actual pictures! 

1 comment:

  1. Girlfriend1! I love this:) like, so much. College is such a special time, I wish more college kids would blog, so I could live vicariously! I found myself reading slower so that it wouldn't end (um, did I just admit that?!?!) Can't wait to follow your journey via this blog.

    ReplyDelete