Thursday, October 25, 2012

Franciscan Happenings

I've been neglecting this blog for a few weeks now. with midterms and my first s.e.n.t. retreat out of the way I will have more time to devote more time to writing.

I'm so very thankful that midterms are out of the way. For the past two years, I've only had a small number of midterms. That was not the case this year! I had midterms or exams in all of my classes. Let's just say that I'm very thankful that they're over! With that, it amazes me how fast this semester has been going by! There are only five more weeks of classes.

This week I also met with my academic advisor, Bob Rice. At the meeting we figured out that I have two options: I could graduate in the fall of 2014 with a degree in Catechetics OR I can graduate the Spring of 2015 with a double major in theology, catechetics and a concentration in youth ministry. I was actually planning on graduating the spring of 2014.  I am pretty sure that God is calling me to double major and have the concentration.  Although I'm bummed that I'll be here an extra year and worried about how far back it will put me financially, I know that God has a plan for me. I strongly believe that God brought me to Franciscan for a reason and maybe it will take an extra year for me to figure out what exactly His plan is.

Life at Franciscan has been great. Even though I've been really stressed out lately, the campus is so peaceful and calm that I have been able to stay relaxed. It has been abnormabally hot for October here. I have been taking full-advantage though by praying the Rosary at the Grotto.  I will really dislike when colder weather comes which will make praying outside difficult. Here are two pictures that students have taken of the campus:


 
 
 
Funny Story: I had to give a personal testimony for my Intro to Catechetics class. In my personal testimony, I said that I was from Michigan and, like a true 'Michigander', I showed the class where I lived on my hand. A few people laughed, which I had expected. What I did not expect was the whole class laughing when I said that I moved during my senior year to Port Austin, which is at the "Tip of the Thumb".it seems that everyone refers to cities in Huron County as being in the "Tip of the Thumb", but I enjoyed everyone's reaction to that statement. Oh the joys of going to school with people from all over the country!.
 


I have often mentioned "Franciscan Culture" in my posts, so it would seem fitting for me to include one piece of insight in the life of a "Frannie". Believe it or not, it seems like at least one couple gets engaged each week.  Most relationships at franciscan aren't typical relationships in that most of them are courtships. What I mean by "courtship" is that typically Catholic relationsihps are rooted in the idea that the couple is working towards marriage.  These relationships are Christocentric and involve a lot of prayer and discernment.   It is common here that people begin dating during their time here and get engaged durign their senior year of college (although there are a few sophomores and juniors who are engaged). As wild as it may be, it's absolutely beautiful. May God bless them.
 
 
This coming Thursday is All Saints day! yay! I'm really looking forward to All Saints day because I'll get to celebrate it at home! I will be flying home on Halloween night and will get to spend the weekend at home doing some much-needed relaxing. I haven't been home sicne August, so i'm really looking forward to spending time with my family. 
 
Have a great day everyone!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment