Sunday, October 7, 2012

Firsts

Heyo.
This past week marked a lot of "firsts". The first of October came about along with a true feeling of fall. It was a bit cooler than normal plus the leaves have begun to change colors. I'm very excited for all of the leaves to become orange and yellow because, unlike flat Michigan, the Ohio Valley is made up of hills, hills and more hills! I am always in awe when driving around town at the many cliffs and hilly terrain. I will be sure to post pictures soon! it's already so beautiful here. I have a feeling that fall might just be my favorite season (thank you Ohio!).

Another first this week was my first homecoming weekend. Seeing all of the alumni who had a strong sense of joy and pride was very inspiring. I know that when I come back to Franciscan to visit, I will be feeling exactly like all of them do. My "favorite" alumni to see were those whose children were attending Franciscan. If God is calling me to marriage and blesses my husband and me with children, I would TOTALLY dig if they went to Franciscan. I know that this is so weird to say, but they will be going to Franciscan haha.

I went to my first Franciscan Talent show too! Franciscan is notorious for putting on stellar talent shows and I have been dying to go to one. This is a video from last year's talent show which has become super popular http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apUnAIIaMI. Here are two videos from this year's talent show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBpjXLTR4Go and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKySSDf5FFA. God has blessed everyone with amazing gifts and talents. The talent show really expressed that.

Many parents also came out for homecoming, including my mom! It was my mom's first time coming out here to visit. This was her third time visiting Franciscan, but her first time visiting me, now an official franciscan student. My mom and I have a really close connection and I have missed her dearly.  It was a true blessing spending the weekend with her.

Spending time with my mom also made me feel something that I haven't really felt before---homesickness. When I was at madonna, I never truly felt homesick because I was still close to the town where I grew up.  Before, my best friend and I were able to hang out about once a week and my relatives were just a phone call away. Now, I'm five hours away. Five hours doesn't seem like much, but it's still five hours. Spending time with my mom made me realize how much I miss home. I miss my friends and my family. I miss going to Zack's or Sheesh late on Wedensday nights with my friends. I miss living down the hall from my sister. All Saints break is right around the corner though, so I'll be able to go home soon :).

Also, I started watching Dawson's Creek with my friends this weekend for the first time and I'm so much in love with the show. if all of the season are like the first, i'm hooked. Sidenote, I love 90 television shows. the.end.

The last "first" of this week which isn't as fun as homecoming weekend is first exams. I've had a fair share of exams these coulple of years, so they're not new to me. They're still a pain though, which is not fun at all. If you want to be a rockstar, please say a quick prayer asking for the intercession of St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Joseph of Cupertino for me and my fellow classmates!

Food for thought: This Thursday marks the Year of Faith, the 50th anniversary of Vatican II, the 20th anniversary of the Catechism of the Catholic Church,  AND the Synod of New Evangelizing which opened up today (which is super duper cool because the fruit of the synod will be a document which will be most likely published by the Pope in a couple years, which I will most likely have the privelege to study while at Franciscan!).. I shall be writing a blog post about all this "fun stuff" sometime this week. here's more about it: http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/how-we-teach/new-evangelization/year-of-faith/. Please keep the Synod in your prayers and prayerfully discern how you can make this year of faith "count".







2 comments:

  1. Om lowercase g.
    First- Totally saw the talent show 'FUs' cover. So funny.
    Two- homecoming weekend rocks. So fun. I cannot wait to come down. I think Jodi and I are going to come with the two babies! I really wanted to bring the babies.
    Three- Homesickness is the worst. It basically killed me my first semester. It will get better. And, it makes visits home so much more fantastic.
    Four- Dawson's Creek is the best.show.ever. lots to say about that. I will have to as you watch more.
    Five- I am loling at your enthusiasm for Church documents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mare, when are you guys thinkin about heading out this way?

    ReplyDelete